Vera Wang uses pleats a lot in her designs. I adore the dresses that i’ve seen designed by Vera and I love some of the more fitted mermaid tail style ones. The dark black and grey dress looks a lot like that worn by the Corpse Bride in Tim Burtons movie and is suitably gothic for a halloween type event.
As shown in her designs the pleats can be applied to cocktail dresses and full length gowns as well as tops which is something that I had debated incorporating into my designs after I had viewed work by Issey Miyake. However I think if I was to have someone model my clothes I would rather there was some movement and a sense of emotion such as joy especially if they are modelling a wedding dress. I like the clothes to capture and reflect the personality of the person and this is best achieved by a more natural pose.
Issey Miyake uses pleats a lot in his fashion designs. As part of unit 2, i’m looking at fashion designers who use pleating, curving and gathering in their designs. Issey uses pleats to great striking and geometrical shaped clothing.
I like the designs and would be interested to see if I could create a more practical version of some of these designs and also how to incorporate pleats into the designs. At present my main thought process leads me to wonder about pleats within tops.
so my cubicle so far comes complete with a shelf, curtain, table, chair and a large piece of paper folded to form a ‘wall pocket’ for scrap material
It has within it a clip on black veil I’m working on, the top of which is a bow and which has a newspaper rose and will have depressing words embroidered through it in wool. I sort of developed it from the idea of the advert about mental health where people remove their masks as the end of the day and reveal how they really feel.
The idea with this is that it is there, trailing after the person. It is a part of them, but not all of them.
I made a fashion mood board to predict the fashion of spring/summer 2014 and it adorns one wall.
I love cross stitch so along the top of my cubicle there are some of my small samples. As well as (pictured below) some of my 3d sculpture samples.
Randomly stuck to one wall is an experiment in couch and stitching ribbon to cotton.
as well as a random monoprint and some crocheted granny squares attached by left over thread.
The Paper sculpture is based off the idea of atomic structure and when perfected will hopefully not only look like it does above but actually stay where it has been placed instead of falling down.
printing making samples also line the walls to add a splash of colour
the shelf store my wire work trials (including my investigation into fluffy wire!)
Finally I have a large pencil drawn outline of a model pose for fashion drawing with the head levels marked as a quick reference guide while working. (I stuck on a paper witch hat as Halloween is near)
Tina and myself looking very glamorous in our overalls!
So today in class we were experimenting with dye and doing plain dyeing and tie dye as well. Once clothes were covered and gloves were on (health and safety first!) we used our plastic pots filled with dye (you can use left over plastic containers like the bottom of a chopped up bottle of water) to dip the plain cotton in.
I also had plain paper for placing my material on when I’d finished so i could store it all as one in the drying rack and also perspex on the table for working over, for ease of cleaning afterwards.
It helps to give the material a quick wash first to get rid of oils and dirt etc and it helps for the material to soak up the dye. As you can see below I picked 2 of my favourite colours blue and purple for the plain dyed material.
As i soon discovered a damp, washed material will soak up the dye faster and in a much less patchy manner.
Next was Tie Dye. First we gave our cotton (and sometimes silk) a quick wash and made sure it was damp but not soaking wet and then, to create different patterns and shapes we used rubber bands which we wound tight round the white cotton, as well as string and using buttons and other materials in some of the bound areas to create different outcomes. Then we either dipped the scrunched up material or used a brush to dab on dye.
Once finished I left my material in its bound form for 15-20 minutes.
After 20 minutes I gave the bound material a quick wash in water to remove excess dye (but not all of it!) and undid the plastic bands etc and laid them out to dry (as shown below)